Sunday, May 11, 2014

Whose Day Is It, Anyway?

There is a phenomenon going on around Mother's Day that I've just recently been tuned into. In the days leading up to the day on which we celebrate Mothers my newsfeed is flooded with memes, posts, articles, and status updates telling me why the day is not just a day for Mothers, but is, in fact, a day to honor "all those who 'Mother'". Every year, on the second Sunday in May, teachers, mentors, nurses, grandparents, aunts, and even fathers are to be "remembered" and "thanked" for "mothering" us. And oh yeah, mothers, too.

Three Mother's Days ago I didn't care about this opening up of the one day a year specifically held to honor Mothers to so many different groups of people. Indeed, I hardly even noticed. But now that I am a mother, I do notice. And I care. A lot. Why? Because Mothers are not an everybody job. As a Mother I fulfill a role in my child's life that nobody else can or will: not a teacher, not a mentor, not a grandmother or aunt, and not a father. And I think that deserves a day.

I know, know that there are plenty of females out there who are raising children that have no business doing so. I know that many people have been hurt by said female in their lives and have gained positive caregiving from another source. I do not presume to define who is and who isn't a genuine Mother, deserving of celebration on Mother's Day. I pretty much believe that if you consider yourself a Mother, then you are one, regardless of birth or bloodlines. But I don't think taking one day a year to honor, thank, and celebrate Mothers, and only Mothers, is asking too much.

So let it be known now that here, on my Facebook feed, in my text messages and phone calls, I will celebrate Mothers, and only Mothers. Teacher, mentors, nurses, grandparents, aunts, and fathers, you all have your own days (actually, several of you have your own week or MONTH, but I'm not here to quibble). It's not that I'm selfish, it's just that I think credit should be given where credit is due.

P.S. Happy Mother's Day, Mams.


No comments:

Post a Comment